How to Use QR Codes for Mobile Marketing
October 27, 2011 - Posted by Shama Kabani
Time for a pop quiz: what is this thing?
It’s a Quick Response (QR) code. QR codes are similar to standard barcodes retailers use to track and price goods, except they can hold and share much more data. Believe it or not, these funny looking black and white boxes are revolutionizing mobile marketing.
How QR Codes Work
QR codes are activated when they are scanned or read by a mobile device. The only requirements are a smartphone with a camera and an installed barcode reader. Many free QR and barcode apps exist for both iPhone and Android. When you scan a QR code, you can link to many different types of content, including web, video, email, and IM.
Why Use QR Codes?
1. Generating a QR code is not only easy, it’s free
2. QR codes are convenient for users, who can access your content after a simple scan
3. Many QR codes, such as the ones offered by Google’s URL shortener, come with built-in analytics – so it’s easy to track their effectiveness
How to Use QR Codes in Mobile Marketing Campaigns
So we’ve talked about what QR codes do and the benefits of using them, but there’s still the question of what exactly you should do with them. Here are a few examples of how you might integrate QR codes into your marketing plan:
1. On posters, brochures, and flyers
2. On your business card or an event nametag
3. On product packaging, restaurant menus, and sales receipts
4. On the front of your business (Google Places offers decals)
1. A mobile landing page, exclusive video, or your social media sites
2. A map or directions to your business
3. Exclusive coupons, discounts, or giveaways
4. A customer feedback form
For more QR code resources, check out these sites:
1. Moo.com – Custom business cards with QR codes
2. QR Stuff – Free QR code generator
3. QR Code Reader and Scanner – Exactly what it sounds like, for the iPhone
4. Barcode Scanner – A QR code reader for Android phones
5. 101 Uses for QR Codes – If you’re having trouble coming up with ideas, this article is full of examples