How to Turn Your Facebook Profile Into a Fan Page
March 31, 2011 - Posted by Shama Kabani
Facebook has recently made available a tool which will allow you to convert your personal Facebook profile into a Facebook Page (also known as a Fan Page). A quick refresher: profiles are for people. Pages are for businesses, brands, puppies, and yes…people. So, a person can have a profile and a page, but a business for example, cannot have a profile. A business must have a page.
If someone wants to friend you on Facebook, they go through your profile. This is a mutual relationship. If someone wants to connect with you, and you don’t know who they are, they can connect with you via a page by “Liking it.” This used to be called “Fanning” a page.
You can turn your profile into a page by going here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/create.php?migrate.
This is perfect IF –
1) You originally created a profile for your business instead of a page.
2) You are a public persona, and have been using your profile as a page – to connect with fans, etc. Facebook limits you to 5000 friends.
Do NOT convert to a page if you are using Facebook to connect with family and friends only, because you will not be able to send them individual messages, or write on their walls if they only make that feature available to “friends.”
Please note –
1) All your profile pictures will be transferred, and your current Facebook friends will be moved from friends to people who “like” your page. You will not be able to send them individual messages.
2) No other content, such as information & things they may have posted, will be carried over. Please back up all your FB content before you make the switch. My favorite service for Facebook back-ups in http://socialtoo.com. (Currently down due to them switching servers, but will be back up again in a day).
3) You cannot move your friends to a current fan page. If you already have a fan page setup, they will not be added to it. You will have to setup a new fan page.
Any questions? Please ask away!